Ill be in Europe for five months. Wish me luck.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

The man who made it all possible. This bust was in a building at the University of Freiburg. We toured the city it was really easy to see the effects of world war 2 just from walking around. There are new buildings (in place of buildings that were destroyed) next to century-old houses, and the buildings that were there during the war have cracks and holes in the walls caused by shrapnel and bullets. It was an eerie feeling being able to see them. History is something that definitely has a huge impact on life in this country, and they do a really good job of recognizing and memorializing what should be remembered. In just about every city in Germany that I have been to there is a memorial or open space where a synagogue once stood and memorials to those who died in the holocaust. Last week I went to an exhibit in Konstanz about young jewish people who live in Germany today. The jewish population in Germany has grown steadily in the past decade or so (many came from former soviet republics) after being virtually non-existant from WW2 until the breakup of the soviet union. I just finished with my language course here in Konstanz and now I have three weeks of leisure time. I plan on taking several trips in Germany and one to France before the semester starts. Bis Bald.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home